Feet are generally taken for granted – that is, until something goes wrong with them. There are few things that incapacitate us as much as a broken or badly infected foot. Think about it, even with a broken arm, you still remain mobile and are able to do many things.
Feet get us everywhere we need to go – and yet, most people know very little about what actually goes on inside the foot. Even simple pleasures such as walking, driving and playing footsies become hindered without the use of your feet. ♥
Here are a few Fun and Fascinating Facts about Feet:
1. A human foot & ankle is a strong, mechanical structure that contain 26 bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 muscles, tendons & ligaments.
2. The 52 bones in your feet make up one quarter of all the bones in your body. When they are out of alignment, so is the rest of your body.
3. There are approximately 250,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet, and they excrete as much as half a pint of moisture each day.
4. The soles of your feet contain more sweat glands and sensory nerve endings per square centimeter than any other part of the body.
5. The American Podiatry Medical Association says buying shoes is best done during the afternoon. Your feet tend to swell a little during the day, and it’s best to buy shoes that fit then.
6. Women are 4 times more likely to have foot problems than men are, mostly due to footwear.
7. A 2½-inch high heel can increase the load on the forefoot by 75%.
8. Many people have one foot larger than the other, so it’s best to fit the larger one while standing.